Each generation of Amazon’s Kindle e-Reader has offered more functionality and memory for people who want to carry a library wherever they go. Improvements have been made to increase Kindle battery life, including the use of Lithium-ion Polymer Batteries. Design engineers faced challenges in developing Kindle devices that would run for many hours on Lithium-Ion Polymer batteries. A simple description of the ways to extend the life of a Kindle battery is available here.
Before we get there, though, here is a quick 30 seconds video about the new Kindle Paperwhite. Enjoy!
Advantages of Lithium-Ion-Polymer Batteries
- The standard porous separator is replaced with the unique micro-porous electrolyte inside the battery.
- A gelled electrolyte acts as the catalyst to enhance the battery’s electrical conductivity. The Kindle runs for hours because of this powerful battery.
- Thinner battery profiles allow the Li-polymer battery to be used in Kindle devices where high energy output is required.
- Costs of manufacturing the Li-Polymer battery are offset with the market advantages of lightweight Kindle devices that have a long battery life.
- Flexible foil-type cases allow the Li-Polymer battery cell to fit into small spaces inside a Kindle.
- Li-Polymer batteries can be as slim as a credit card, which is appealing to a Kindle market where thinner is better.
Disadvantages of Lithium-Ion-Polymer Batteries
- Protection circuits inside the Kindle ensure safe use of the Li-Polymer battery. These circuits will add to the cost of each Kindle model.
- Gas build-up inside the Li-polymer foil package during the charging process must be accommodated. Kindle engineers allowed space inside the device for the battery to expand.
- Foil packages around the Li-Polymer batteries might be less durable than other types of batteries. The Kindle should be handled with care to extend battery life.
Kindle Battery Life
With proper care, you will not have to replace Kindle battery, which is a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery. Extensive use of the Kindle e-Reader can cause the length of time between charges to decrease. You must be aware of the best approach to maximizing the Kindle battery life. Charging the battery should be delayed until the battery percentage goes down to 40 percent. Lithium-polymer batteries have better longevity when the charge does not fall below the 40 percent range. Each Kindle model offers a different number of hours of use on one charge.
- Kindle 2 – 30 hours – or 7,500 page turns
- Kindle 3rd generation – 15 hours
- Kindle 4th generation – 15 hours
- Kindle – 14 hours
- Kindle Fire – 9 hours
- Kindle Fire HD – 8 hours
- Kindle Fire HDX – 11 hours
- Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 – 12 hours
- Kindle Paperwhite – 28 hours
- Kindle Voyage – 21 hours
The number of hours is measured with continuous use of the device. You will notice that the device loses its charge when it remains off for sustained periods of time. A Kindle that is not used for two full weeks will lose approximately half of the battery charge. The battery should be charged fully if you will not be using the Kindle for a long period.
Actions That Drain Batteries for Kindle
Kindle buyers should be aware of the functions on a Kindle that require the largest amount of battery power. Reducing the use of these features will allow the battery to retain a charge longer, which extends the Kindle battery life.
Wi-Fi – Early models of the Kindle have Wi-Fi connectivity that sustains the ability to download books and magazines from the Kindle Store at Amazon.com. A weak Wi-Fi signal would cause the Kindle to attempt the re-connection sequence in rapid succession. Turning off the Wi-Fi option saves battery life on all Kindle models.
3G or 4G – Cell network connectivity is an advantage offered through the more recent Kindle models. This option should remain off when not in use to extend the battery life.
Bright screen – A screen that is turned up in bright-light situations will drain more energy from the battery. The user must remember to dim the screen again.
Backlight – The Kindle Fire has a strong backlight that makes pictures and games bright and beautiful. This option can be turned off when reading a book.
Games – Playing games on a Kindle Fire will drain the battery more quickly than reading a book. The battery level should not go below 40 percent when playing games.
Temperature – Extremely hot, or cold, room temperatures drain the energy from a Kindle battery. Neutral temperatures during use and storage will extend the battery life. The optimal room temperature for a Li-Polymer battery is 68 degrees Fahrenheit, or slightly below.
8 Tips To Extend The Battery Life on Your Kindle
Batteries for Kindle e-Readers are made to support the functions on each model. Extensive use of the Kindle reader drains the battery at a pace that becomes comfortable and familiar. Obscure activities can drain the battery life without your awareness. Settings should be adjusted to extend the battery life between charges.
- Disconnect the 3G or Wi-Fi – You have access to many functions without having access to the Internet or the Kindle Store. Turn off the Wi-Fi whenever it is not being used.
- Charge completely – A Kindle battery will last longer when the user takes the time to allow the charge cycle to complete. Charges through the USB cable will take longer than the wall charger. Another option is to purchase the PowerFast charger from Amazon.
- Conduct a complete charge cycle monthly – Allow the Kindle battery to drain completely. Plug in the charger and allow the battery to charge fully without interruption. This process should be completed once each month. A calendar is helpful in the accurate scheduling of this process.
- Invoke Sleep – An interruption in the use of a Kindle should cause the user to place the device in sleep mode. The screen is turned off, which preserves the battery life.
- Decrease screen brightness – More battery power is required to provide a bright screen. The screen should be set for the current light conditions in the room.
- Neutral temperatures – Li-Polymer batteries are sensitive to extreme temperatures, hot or cold. You are wise to store and use the e-Reader in neutral temperatures. Room temperatures close to 68 degrees Fahrenheit allow the Kindle to remain at an optimal operational temperature.
- Kill battery-hungry apps – A Kindle Fire will continue to run apps until the apps are terminated. Certain apps require a significant amount of battery power. You can download Battery Monitor apps through the Kindle Store to determine which apps use the most power.
- Minimize speaker use – Headphones should be used whenever possible since the speakers use Dolby audio stereo speakers, which require substantial battery power.
Frequent Problems With Kindle Batteries
You must be aware that certain problems can arise when recharging the battery. Certain precautions must be taken to avoid the need for you to change battery in Kindle too often. Mishandling of the Li-Polymer battery can have catastrophic consequences. The best approach is to read the user’s manual and follow recommendations listed.
- Overcharging – A safety circuit is present in mobile devices that run on Li-Polymer batteries, including e-Readers. You must be aware that the battery can overcharge if the protection circuitry fails. An explosion or fire can result if the battery is allowed to overcharge.
- Memory effect – Improper timing of the charging cycle can cause the battery to hold less power. You must allow the battery to lose approximately 60 percent of the charge prior to recharging the device. Memory effect is the tendency of the battery to remember a smaller charge capacity if charged too often.
- Use of wrong charger – The Kindle charger that came with the unit is the only charger that can be used safely to charge the Li-Polymer battery inside. A replacement charger must be acquired directly from Amazon.com.
- Deep discharge – Under this situation, the Li-Polymer batter has been allowed to drop belown 3.0 V, which means that is can no longer accept a full-capacity charge. To prevent this, deep-discharge protection circuitry is inside every Kindle model. A battery icon on the screen indicates that the user should plug in the charger quickly.
Indication To Change Battery in Your Kindle
Every type of rechargeable battery has a lifespan that has been tested and certified. A Lithium-Ion-Polymer battery will live through approximately 200 charge-discharge cycles. You will notice a steady decrease in the Kindle’s operation time between charges. All of the factors listed above will decrease the number of complete charge cycles in the battery.
Proper care of the battery will ensure that the maximum number of charge cycles will be realized. Lithium-based batteries have long idle lives. For best results, you should ensure that the battery has a 40 percent charge and refrigerate the battery. Allow the battery to return to room temperature before inserting it into the Kindle.
Where To Order A Kindle Replacement Battery
The most reliable source of genuine Kindle replacement batteries is Amazon.com. Here is a list of the most popular kindle adapters and replacement batteries readers of this site have looked at:
- Amazon Kindle 4/6 D01100 MC-265360 3.7V 890mAh Li-Pol replacement Battery
- Amazon Kindle 9W PowerFast Adapter for Accelerated Charging
- MPF Products Replacement 4400mAh 3555A2L Battery for Amazon Kindle Fire D01400 (Kindle Fire 1, Kindle Fire I) 7″ Tablet
- Kindle Keyboard Battery Replacement Kit with Video Installation DVD, & Extended Life Battery
- Battery for AMAZON Kindle Fire HDX 7, Kindle Fire HDX with Installation Tools
- High Capacity Replacement Battery for Kindle Fire HD 7″ P48WVB4 X43Z60 Tablet with Installation
- Amazon Kindle 3, Kindle 3 Wi-fi, Kindle 3G, Kindle Graphite, Kindle III 1900mAh Battery
You can find a more exhaustive list of kindle replacement batteries here Amazon.com. Prices change constantly, so you are wise to monitor the prices prior to ordering. Web pages list the right battery models for each Kindle. Some people order a replacement battery with the Kindle to avoid a delay when the replacement is needed. Get the best prices on Kindles & Accessories Here.
Bestselling Products on Amazon Kindle Store
Prices are accurate as of October 13, 2015 12:05 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.